Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Why this blog?

In our house, we often experience "boy default mode." This is what boys do when they have nothing else to do. In our house, boy default mode consists of putting on a belt, sticking a toy sword or gun in the belt, and running around the house. Another option is tying a blanket around one's neck as a cape and running around the house. One word best describes boy default mode: wild.

In looking for a solution to this, I am tempted to think that the kids need new or different toys, or maybe different books to read. My husband is always good to remind me that the issue is not a lack of toys - they just need more creative ideas.

As Christians, we have some specific goals in mind when it comes to how our boys spend their time.
We want them to be:
  • Learning to work diligently, as unto the Lord. This means completing school work and learning to do various chores around the house.
  • Growing in the their knowledge of God. This happens all throughout the day in unplanned ways, but specifically during our morning Bible Time.
  • Content with what they have. Not always clamoring for a new toy, because new stuff will never make us happy.
  • Good stewards of our resources. Taking care of our things. Making toys and games out of what we already have.
  • Taking opportunities to serve others. We have lots of ideas to implement here, and we hope to post about projects that young boys can do to serve others.
My oldest son, Aidan, is very excited about this blog! He loves to do projects together, and frankly, I need some accountability to make that more of a priority. We hope to post some easy activity ideas first, and also post about our Bible Time, which we have recently named "Christian Soliders Club."

Enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. Hey that's a pretty neat idea (I guess I mean ideas). I have a boy and girl so "default mode" can go either way, ya know, based on who's in charge at the moment. We have similar goals at our house, but wouldn't mind hearing (or rather seeing) your input :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping from Mom Loop! As the mom of a young boy who we hope will be a Christian someday I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kingdom 1st Mom tweeted about your new blog, so I'm dropping by to check it out. Love this idea. As the mom of a 8 mo old, I'll follow along and hopefully implement some of your ideas in the not-so-far-off future! Our parenting goals sound similar to yours. :D
    Sincerely,
    Alicia
    P.S. You should get a twitter handle (if you don't already have one) so we can follow you that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 2 boys - ages 7 and 4, and I completely understand the wild boy default mode :-). I look forward to reading your blog for additional ideas to run out the energy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a mom of 4 boys (1 daughter) I totally agree that yes 'wild' is a perfect word for them. Who ever said boys and girls are only different because we raise them that way has obviously never raised boys!

    I look forward to reading your blog...and welcome to the blogging world, enjoy the ride! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 3 boys I birthed (that sounds weird-ha!) and 2 stepsons...so, I know where you're coming from!
    Most of our boys are older than yours, but I have lots of activities to do for little or no money...it's the best way to go!
    Good luck with blogging--don't feel frustrated if you feel no one is reading at times...just keep plugging away! (If nothing else, it's a fun outlet!)
    My blogs are:
    Blended Blessings (bethanyspencer.blogspot.com) and Selah Photography (selahphoto.blogspot.com)
    Stop by and see me if you need anything! I am kind of new at this too, but I will do my best.
    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two boys, and two girls (I like to say, I have a full set in both sizes!) and WILD would totally describe default boy mode.

    I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with! I know we're big on pretend play here at my house!

    (btw, love the photo of your boys!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are doing this, Sarah!! You know how crazy my boy gets in default mode... and we have another one on the way :) Looking forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping over from Mom Loop and can't wait to read more of your blog! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! It is great to have goals to work toward. Lovely fam!
    Jennifer
    Check out my blog about our 4 boys if you get a chance: http://cooperating4boys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to the blog world! Stopping by from Mckmama's community!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome!!! See you at BlogFrog!

    http://theblogfrog.com/1233755

    Have a nice day.
    Nan
    http://beonefineday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. As the mom of one boy and step-mom of another, I'm totally looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great ideal, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stopping by from Mom Loop. Love the ideas that you have. I might be able to help you out with the fourth one. You should check out my blog for some ideas that will help get your guys in touch with the outdoor world!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, everyone, for the big welcome! My boys and I have been brainstorming a list of ideas of things that we have enjoyed doing, and we can't wait to try out some new ideas too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome to the blogging world!
    Saw a nice post from your friend Quirky Mama at the BlogFrog.
    ~Carol
    http://www.creatorscreatures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome to blogging! I have a house full of 3 boys. Always active and fun. Well, not always. But mostly ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how you named your Bible time "Christian Soldier Club." Very cute! Welcome to blogging. I am new also. It looks like we started around the same time. I started last month and there is so much to learn but I am enjoying it. Good Luck
    ~Anne
    http://lessonsthrulife.com

    ReplyDelete